4/11/2014

[Spot] Showcase for New Artist ‘Eddy Kim’s First Mini Album

 
 
On April 11th, the showcase for Eddy Kim’s first mini album ‘The Manual’ was held at M PUB, IFC MALL. The MC was the owner of his agency ‘MYSTIC89’ Yoon Jong-shin. Eddy Kim made his debut on M.NET’s ‘Superstar K4’, making the ‘TOP6’ and earned a nickname ‘a singing soldier’. He now makes an official debut with the name ‘Eddy Kim’.

All 6 songs included in his first mini album ‘The Manual’ was composed and produced by Eddy Kim, who also wrote the lyrics of the song.

Yoon Jong-shin said, “The album was released at 12pm. We had a very good start”.
“Please give much attention to Eddy Kim this year. I think Eddy Kim is an ideal musician. “He is recommended by Yoon Jong-shin and MYSTIC89”, said Yoon Jong-shin with confidence. Eddy Kim came on stage, singing ‘Push & Pull’ live.
 
12
“He is like a jewel”, says Yoon Jong-shin
 
Yoon Jong-shin and Eddy Kim continued their conversation.

Yoon Jong-shin – You were born in 1990, so you’re 25. When did you start learning music?

Eddy Kim – I learned harmonics and how to play the violin from my parents until I was 1st grade in high school. Then I majored in classical music composition in Boston in the US.

Yoon Jong-shin – Did you go to America to learn music or to learn away from Korea?
(Laughter)

Eddy Kim – No, I didn’t. When I was in high school, I had many teachers who studied at Berklee College of Music.

Yoon Jong-shin – Did you graduate with honors?

Eddy Kim – I took time off from school to serve in the military.

Yoon Jong-shin – You used your real name ‘Kim Jung-hwan’ on ‘Superstar k4’. Why did you decide to use a new name?

Eddy Kim – When I was in America, people had a hard time pronouncing my name, so I used the name Eddy.

A video called ‘Eddy Manual’ was played to show how he chose the name ‘Eddy Kim’, which he used in America.

Yoon Jong-shin – The music video for ‘Push & Pull’ was shot in Amsterdam, which drew huge attention. Some said it’s too much investment for a rookie singer. (Laughter) We shot three music videos and album covers. We tried to spend as less as possible.

Eddy Kim – It was a beautiful city. The concept of the album is the sound of the guitar, which suits really well with Amsterdam.

The showcase continued with the music video ‘Push & Pull’. Yoon Jong-shin said it was hard to decide the title song. They took the form of ‘making film’ for the song ‘Push & Pull’ as the original title was ‘The Manual’. Eddy Kim selected 6 songs from the 50 songs he wrote before and after he served in the military.

Yoon Jong-shin continued, mentioning ‘Jack Johnson’. “I asked his engineer to edit some of the songs in the mini album to make the similar sound. The quality of the sound is pretty good for folk music”.

Yoon Jong-shin – You joined ‘Superstar K4’ as a soldier.

Eddy Kim – Senior soldiers asked me to teach them how to sing and play the guitar. I got the letter from the Army to join the show and high ranking military officials also recommended it. I said no, first. But then I wondered how other people would think about my music. I never expected to make the TOP 6.

Yoon Jong-shin said, “I met PSY yesterday. He was proud of allowing him on the show. I asked him to recommend him to the foreign media (laughter)”. Eddy Kim sang ‘2 Years Apart’.
 
11
Eddy Kim played the guitar that was given by Yoon Jong-shin
 
Reporters continued to ask questions.

How did you see his potentials? And you didn’t evaluate him on ‘Superstar K’. Would have it made any differences if you had?

Yoon Jong-shin – ‘superstar K2’ was good for acoustic guitar players like Jang Jae-in, Kim Ji-soo and Kang Seung-yoon. It was sad that we couldn’t accept them all because my company was still small. Lee Seung-cheol’s manager suggested that I meet Eddy Kim and I signed up right after listening Eddy Kim’s music. He does everything when it comes to music, from writing and singing. He is a jewel for me, a producer. If I had been a judge, he would have made top 3. He could not have been able to win the contest.

Eddy Kim – I’ve become more like a perfectionist since I joined MYSTIC89. I’ve been studying music for a long time to deepen my music. It took time for me to choose an agency because I was looking for a company to help improve myself as a musician. I think MYTIC89 would help me write better songs.

Yoon Jong-shi – Other agencies offered better deals. I told Eddy Kim to make his own decision but I focused on music more. I really want good musicians like him to become a star. Good music shouldn’t be the end though, it should also hold commercial value.

 
15
 Yoon Jong-shin is supporting Eddy Kim after signing him.
 
The owner of your agency is so determined to make you successful. Don’t you feel under pressure?

Eddy Kim – I’m under pressure as a rookie to write songs for my own album. I think anyone like me would feel that. But I think I’m lucky. I was very happy recording my album. The result was better than I expected.

What would you do if you make the top?

Eddy Kim – I would love it if my song makes top 1 or 2 because that means that many people love my music. I hope to get feedbacks from the listeners.
Yoon Jong-shin – He keeps telling me his ranking. I think he’s curious about it.
Eddy Kim – I keep checking comments.
Yoon Jong-shin – Don’t read such things.
Eddy Kim – Well, they are all good.
Yoon Jong-shin – Keep reading, then you’ll find some bad ones, too. (Laughter)
Yoon Jong-shin – Eddy Kim is working out at the gym lately. You should take off your shirt if you make the top. There is a reversal in his body.
 
14
 
It’s been a long time since ‘SuperstarK4’. Weren’t you worried about making a debut later than other contestants?

Eddy Kim – I returned to the military after the audition. It was like a dream show for me. Then I started to worry a little. Then I changed my mind. There was nothing for me to do after being discharged. So I kept writing songs.

You’re taking a break at the moment. Are you planning to go back to school?

Eddy Kim – The process of learning music at Berklee College of Music is like that of becoming a professional musician. I’m happy that I found a good agency that made me able to realize things that I never knew. I think I could go back to school whenever I want. It wouldn’t be too late.

 
 

Written by Han Jihee, Photographed by Ryuma, Translated by Lee Sarah
 


This post is also available in

No comments:

Post a Comment