4/30/2014

[Spot] Lee Jong-suk and Park Hae-jin’s New Drama ‘Doctor Stranger’


Two main characters Lee Jong-suk and Park Hae-jin

The press release for SBS’s new drama ‘Doctor Stranger’ was held on April 29th at SBS Mok-dong Office. At the release, the cast wore black clothes and yellow ribbons to offer their condolences for those affected by the Sewol ferry disaster. The atmosphere was rather toned down.

The production team and the cast including Lee Jong-suk, Park Hae-jin, Jin Se-yeon, Kang So-ra and Bora of Sistar participated in the event.  The medical melodrama is a story about a genius doctor who was born in South Korea but raised in North Korea and an elite doctor Han Jae-joon. They fight against conspiracy together.

Director Jin Hyeok offered his condolences to the victims of the Sewol ferry disaster. He said, “I’ll do my best to make a healing drama. I’ve been planning for the series for a long time. Writer Park Jin-woo joined me to produce a good drama. We want to make a story about passionate loves that you can risk your life and how you become a more matured person from them. I also want to tell the story from the perspective of an outsider or a stranger of society”.



The main characters for ‘Doctor Stranger’, Lee Jong-suk, Jin Se-yeon, Kang So-ra, Bora and Park Hae-jin

Jin Se-yeon plays the double role of Song Jae-hee, Park Hoon (Lee Jong-suk)’s first love and Han Seung-hee, the anesthesiologist at Myung-woo University Hospital. She said, “It’s a great opportunity to play a double role. I was attracted to the fact. It’s not easy though to differentiate one role from another”.

Kang So-ra plays chest surgeon Oh Soo-hyun at the hospital, Han Jae-hoon (Park Hae-jin)’s girlfriend. She said, “I really wanted to play the role when I read the script. It’s an honor to work with director Jin Hyeok”.

Bora plays a friend of Park Hoon from North Korea named Lee Chang-yi. Bora said she is excited about shooting a drama as it is her first TV series.

Director Jin Hyeok explained about the cast, saying “When I helped Lee Jong-suk make a debut with my drama ‘Prosecutor Princess’, I thought he could be a big star because he has a lot of talent even if he still needed to work harder. He has now become a main character in 5 years”.

About Jin Se-yeon, he said, “She is the youngest but she gets a lot of compliments”. He also said, “I decided to choose Bora for her role after I saw her performance at SBS Drama Awards”, showing his personal affection for her. Jin Hyeok thought Park Hae-jin would be perfect for his role as he had the cold image when Jin Hyeo first met her.




Kang So-ra said, “I have trust in the production team and the writer. I think I could show the diversity of the character. I also like the subject matter, hospital. It’s a place of life or death situation. The events happening at the hospital will be interesting”, raising the expectations about the drama.

Playing a chest surgeon, Kang So-ra said she watched a lot of medical documentaries. She also said, “People around me all envy me for working with the two attractive actors”.

Jin Se-yeon said, “It’s very difficult to understand medical terms. But the staff helped me a lot. Director Jin Hyeok recommended the movie ‘Shiri’ to me. I’ like to deliver a dramatic reversal”, showing her effort for the new drama.



Bora of Sistar and Lee Jong-suk are friends on the new drama

Bora said, “I’ll do my best because I don’t want to cause the other actors any troubles” I mostly shoot with Lee Jong-suk. I feel comfortable working with him because we are friends on the drama. I can ask him questions any time while shooting, which makes me feel relieved. I also learn a lot watching him acting”.
About the North Korean accent, she said, “The terms are so difficult. So I watched a lot of movies I can learn North Korean accent from. It’s fun to learn the new words. I feel good about playing a small role as it is my first time to shoot a drama and I’ve been preparing for acting since I made a debut as a singer”.



Chinese Model Zhang Liang and Park Hae-jin are personally know each other well

Chinese top model Zhang Liang also joins the drama, drawing a lot of attention. Zhang Liang said, “It’s an honor to come to Korea to shoot a drama. I feel so sad about the Sewol ferry disaster. I pray for the soul of the deceased”. Zhang Liang plays Park Hae-jin’s college friend, who’s a lawyer. He will make a short but bold appearance for Korean fans.
Director Jin Hyeok has directed ‘City Hunter’ and ‘Master’s Sun’ and writer Park Jin-woo has written ‘The Kingdom of The Winds’ and ‘Conspiracy in the Court’. Their new drama ‘Doctor Stranger’ will start to air at 10pm on May 5th.


This post is also available in





Written by Han Jihee, Photo by Ryuma, Translated by Lee Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment