4/09/2014

[Spot] New Drama: Crime and Mystery Thriller ‘Gap-Dong’

Yoon Sang-hyun plays Ha Moo-yeom who is a police detective at Iltan Police Station. He struggles and spends his career chasing the real killer ‘Gap-dong’ after his father became the prime suspect in serial murders

On April 8th, the press release for tvN’s new drama ‘Gap-Dong’ was held at CGV Yongsan with the participation of the cast including Yoon Sang-hyun, Kim Min-jung, Sung Dong-il, Lee Joon and Kim Ji-won, director Jo Soo-won and scriptwriter Kwon Eum-mi.
‘Gap-Dong’ is a crime and mystery thriller of 20 episodes based on serial murders occurred 20 years ago in an imaginary city called Iltan. Ha Moo-yeom is a police detective chasing the real killer called ‘Gap-dong’ . Tensions grow between the characters as their relationships and stories unfold.
“The drama focuses on the characters’ painful memories and life stories and tells their emotions through the serial murders”, says producer Jo Soo-won. “There aren’t many splendid scenes. But our goal is to help the viewers relate to the story and the characters”, says Jo Soo-won.


Yoon Sang-hyun plays Ha Moo-yeom, the police detective at Iltan Police Station. Ha Moo-yeom decided to become a police detective after his father was the prime suspect in the case, and though innocent, he caved under police interrogation and ended up committing suicide.
After the statue of limitations on the case expires, new clues about ‘Gap-dong’ resurface. “Different from my past roles there are many scenes where I have to run and fight. I want to keep playing funny roles. But once I focus on the character it was not so difficult to play a serious role. There is no problem if I’m really into the character like I play a role in a romantic comedy drama”, says Yoon Sang-hyun.
Yoon Sang-hyun said he studied Song Kang-ho’s acting in the movie ‘Memories of Murder’. He also said, “I always wanted be a singer but Song Kang-ho in the movie helped me have a dream to become an actor. I watched the movie 7 or 8 times. There shouldn’t be cases like that anymore”.


Sung Dong-il plays chief of crime department ‘Yang Chul-gon’ at Iltan Plice Station

Sung Dong-il plays chief of crime department ‘Yang Chul-gon’ who convinced that Moo-yeom’s father was the killer. He is extremely prejudiced against Moo-yeom, the son of the suspected murderer, which makes for a combative working relationship. But Ha Moo-yeom’s passion and devotion changed how he thinks about him and and he accepts Ha Moo-yeom.
He explains about the movie, saying “The Hwaseong serial murders are the motif of the drama. But the process of catching the criminals is different from that of the movie ‘Memories of Murders’. It’s a story about the pains of humans and why those with painful memories have to catch criminals”.

Lee Joon plays ‘Ryu Tae-oh’, the psychopath who thinks serial killer ‘Gap-dong’ a hero

Lee Joon plays ‘Ryo Tae-oh’, a barista with a genius IQ of 150. He is a psychopath who has completely no empathy for others’ pain. He even thinks serial killer ‘Gap-dong’ his idol. Lee Joon said, “I try not to watch dramas about psychopaths to create my own character. So I keep a journal, imagining I was a psychopath. I also try to think badly of things. When I first read the script I found it very interesting. I began to want to play a psychopath since two years ago. Now I can finally play the role. I’m doing my best to understand my character’s behavior as I’m not a psychopath”.

Kim Min-jung plays mysterious doctor Maria Oh and Kim Ji-won plays 17-year-old webtoon writer Ma Ji-wool
Kim Min-jung plays psychiatrist with a mysterious double life. She is a kind doctor in the doctor’s gown but when she takes it off she turns into a mysterious woman.
“Maria Oh has to live with emotional scars and traumas. Her own way to survive really appeals to me. My job is to show why Maria Oh has to live a double life in a realistic way”, says Kim Min-jung.
Kim Ji-won also played a high school student in her former drama ‘The Heirs’. Again, she plays 17-year-old webtoon writer ‘Ma Ji-wool’. She said she has no problem of holding the high school student image, saying “Senior actors tell me I should play young characters as possible as an actress. I appreciate the fact that I can wear a school uniform. My character is young but she is also matured”.
tvN’s new drama ‘Gap-Dong’ will be first aired at 8:40 on April 11th.

Written by Han Jihee, Photographed by Ryuma, Translated by Lee Sarah

This post is also available in

[Korean] [Japanese] [Chinese]

No comments:

Post a Comment