3/17/2014

[Interview] Learning to Act – Lee Ji-Hoon (Part 1)


Upon his debut with the drama ‘School 2013,’ he made a good impression as an actor. Since then, he showed his presence in drama ‘You’re the Best, Lee Soon-Shin,’ as well as entertainment programs like ‘Our Neighborhood Arts and Physical Education,’ ‘Mamma Mia,’ ‘Fashion King.’ He is currently starring in the drama ‘Golden Rainbow’ as ‘Kim Yeol-Won.’

With his tall height and nice voice, he receives many praises from people around him. He says, “I like the vibe of the shooting scenes. It’s such a great thing to be able to capture the emotions from the actors.”





- The movie <Return Match> has been released. It’s not common for the short films to open in the theater.


I didn’t think about it – I’m not sure what to make of it yet. I’ve only been to VIP screenings, and when I saw myself on the screen, I almost cried. It was really nice to see myself in the screen.


In fact, when I got the propose for the movie, I decided to do it since the scenario was enjoyable, and I was also curious. It took about 7 days to shoot, but I really wanted to take more time. I didn’t realize it on the first day, but on the second day, I didn’t want to leave the scene. I thought it would’ve been nicer if it were to be a full-length film.





- Your character ‘ Han Oh-Gi is terrible at athletics, but you were a soccer player, and you studied athletics in college. How similar are you to your character?


We have similarities in our characters. ‘Oh-Gi’ falls in love at the first sight of ‘Chae-In,’ and tries athletics he’s terrible at. When I fall in love, I do everything I can for her, so that I don’t get any regrets. That’s how ‘Oh-Gi’ felt for ‘Chae-In.’





- It seems that you have a great focus.


That’s the trait of a Scorpio. I never give up.





- You worked with two directors for the <Return Match>: Kim Yong-Wan and Seon Jong-Hun. Did you have any difficulties with working with two directors?


While director Kim played the role of a father, Seon played the mother. I often saw director Kim pondering on certain things – I would give my opinion to director Seon, and they would discuss together. Then, director Kim would give me directions.


More than anything, I’m thankful for their trust in me. While I still lack in certain places, their trust gave me confidence. I’ve come to love this movie with the thought that this is our movie. I put much thought into each scene, and tried my best for them.





- The director Kim requested that you rate his looks.


His looks depend on his hair style. His true charm is that he makes people feel comfortable – so hope he does not go on a diet. (laughs)






- Did you have any difficulties during the shoot?


It was summer when we shot it, and it was so hot. I tried on swimming cap for the first time, and it bothered me so much. I didn’t expect myself to look so terrible with it on. When I saw myself in the screen, I wanted to hide it. (laughs)





- You probably couldn’t act as you wanted with it on.


I told the director that I couldn’t control my eyes. (laughs)





- How was acting with Jeong Yeon-Ju? You had a kiss scene as well.


Yeon-Ju led me very well. (I’m sorry Yeon-Ju) But I didn’t have time to feel anything. I kissed, slapped and continued on. It dawned on me that night that I had a kiss scene that day.





- Jeong Yeon-Ju plays the older chatacter.


So the director wanted that at the scene as well. After couple scenes, she led me like someone who’s older than me. She was like a pro. Haha.





- Did you have any fun episodes?


The shooting itself was fun. One day we had a Ping-Pong scene, and club members asked me to play against them – without knowing that I’m good at it. I did a betting match with them, and kept winning. They lined up to play with me.





- That seems like a ‘return match’ itself


Yeah. It was so much fun. We mainly shot in Gunpo – one day, I won from a badminton betting match, so the mayor treated me to a dinner.






- I’ve heard that you wanted to work with Uhm Ji-Won. Is it still the same?


In fact, my ideal type used to be Song Yun-Ah, but it has changed to Uhm Ji-Won. But I heard that she has a boyfriend. So I have no one that I want to work with now.





- You picked Shin Ha-Kyun as the actor you want to be like


I watched all his works. He’s so great. Like you love someone with no reason – he’s like that to me. When I did not know anything about acting, I practiced with Shin Ha-Kyun’s lines in his movies. I haven’t met him yet, but he made me want to be an actor.


When I watched ‘Brain,’ I thought that great acting can make someone immersed into the drama. Shin Ha-Kyun makes people look forward to his acting.





- I was surprised to hear that you watch late night movies with your father. It is rare for people your age to hang out with their fathers.


He likes movies a lot – we watched ‘Non-Stop’ together 4 days ago. When we watch the ending credit, we rate the movie. On the way home, we keep talking about the movie with my father. It’s nice to watch the movie together.





- What do your parents think of <Return Match>?


I asked for the objective review, but I think they liked it. They said that they wanted it to be longer, but it was refreshing. They said that I’d be better at playing a calm character.





- It seems that your parents are good supporters.


My father has deep thoughts about acting. As I grow as an actor, perhaps he can appear as a cameo in my movie.





- Do you have a genre you like to watch?


I like all genre, but I prefer genres with a clear purpose. I don’t like something in between – having a clear purpose makes the audience get into it better.





- Do you have a character you want to try?


I’d like to do another movie like this. Through this movie, I felt attracted to movies, and when I get a chance, I’d like to focus on movies.




If you want to read more~







No comments:

Post a Comment