5/08/2014

Jang Dong-gun Plays Killer in a Dilemma For ‘No Tears For The Dead’

On May 8th, the press release for ‘No Tears For The Dead’ was held at CGV Apgujeong in Gangnam-gu, Seoul. Park Ji-yoon was the MC and the participants included director Lee Jung-beom, actor Jang Dong-gun and actress Kim Min-hee.


The action drama is a story of killer ‘Gon’ who had to give up everything after making one mistake. His carries out the final mission to kill the target ‘Mo-kyoung (Kim Min-hee)’ and experiences a conflict between his identity as a killer and the sense of guilty.
He plays ‘Gon’, the cold-hearted killer who grew up in the US.




- Tell us about your character in the movie


‘Gon’ was abandoned by his mother when he was young. He was left alone in the US and grew up there. He makes a fatal mistake on a mission and goes to South Korea to carry on his new mission.




- It is your first time to play a killer.


I have been in several action movies. But I had to train for a long time as the character is a professional killer.




- What do you think of the director and Kim Min-hee?


I personally like his movies. I was happy to work with him so I accepted the role. ‘Mo-kyoung’ plays a great role in changing ‘Gon’. I am glad that it is played by Kim Min-hee. Actresses always face the point where they have to look different and poor. I think Kim Min-hee is at the turning point. I had high expectations for her and she did a good job.




- What is the difference between the new movie and other movies about killers?


Killers have the typical processes and routines. When we think of killers, the first we think is the splendid actions and charismas. So I tried a lot to play a realistic killer. I especially focused on the emotions of ‘Gon’ as a human.




- What dilemmas does ‘Gon’ go through?


‘Gon’ never believes in motherhood. But his life totally changes as he realizes about it.




- Have you ever been in a dilemma as an actor?


I think it is the same with anyone. My roles as an ordinary man, a man with a family and an actor sometimes clash.




- It must have been difficult to train for such a long time?


I was not very fit at first. But after 1 month I started the training, it got more interesting and I got more energy. It was fun. I trained 4 hours a day, 4 times a week for 5 months. I was thinking maybe I have to show my skin a little for action scenes but I did not need to. My body looked nicer at the end of the shooting.




- What are your thoughts about Kim Min-hee?


It is hard to compare her with other actresses. As a movie viewer she has a lot of potentials for future.




- Don’t you feel under pressure about how popular the movie can be? ‘The Man from Nowhere’ directed by Lee jung-beom.


I love ‘The Man from Nowhere’. To be more specific, ‘No Tears For The Dead’ can look similar to ‘The Man from Nowhere’ but is very different from it. The lives of the characters are totally different, the concept of the action, too. I even think why it has to be different. To make a joke, I was thinking about making ‘The Crying Man, the combination of the two movies. The director said this movie is in somewhere between ‘Cruel Winter Blues’ and ‘The Man from Nowhere’. That helped me a lot to understand the concept of this movie.




- Do you want the movie to make a big hit?


I personally hope so. It would be great. But whether the movie can be popular goes beyond the power of the production team. We thought we shouldn’t be ashamed of the movie. I hope the movie can be remembered by the audience for a long time.




- How many viewers would you like to draw?


I would be so satisfied if it is over 5 million. I think 10 million is not the number achieved by man.




This post is also available in






No comments:

Post a Comment